"Even more" with "geng"
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing quality, Comparing|
To expresses "even more," (as in "even more expensive," "even more ridiculous," "even more badass"), use 更 (gèng). It frequently comes before adjectives.
The pattern in Chinese is simple:
更 + adj.
Note that this pattern is not simply a way of adding "-er" to an adjective. It's not a substitute for 比 (bǐ) comparisons. In each case, you're adding even more to an existing considerable amount, as in, "I'm already rich, but I want to be even richer."
- 上海 很 冷，但是 北京 更 冷。Shanghai is cold, but Beijing is colder.
- 吃 这么 多 糖，你 会 更 胖 的。It is implied that you are already fat, but if you continue to eat candy, you will become even fatter.If you eat this much candy, you will get fatter.
- 今天 已经 很 忙 了，但是 明天 会 更 忙。 This example is quite clear.Today is already really busy, but tomorrow will be even busier.
- 孩子 都 想 要 更 多 的 玩具。 It is implied that kids already have some toys, but they still want even more.All kids want even more toys.
- 不要 太 高兴，我们 还 有 更 多 的 工作。 It is implied that a lot of work has already been done but there is still even more work left.Don't get too excited; we still have more work to do.
- 希望 你 能 找到 一 个 更 好 的 男朋友。 It is implied that you broke up with a boyfriend, and hopefully you can find one even better.I hope you can find an even better boyfriend.
- 我 想 租 一 个 更 便宜 的 房子。It is implied that the apartment now is already cheap, but I want to rent an even cheaper apartment.I want to rent a cheaper apartment.
- 明天，我 会 告诉 你 更 多 的 事情。Tomorrow I will tell you more things.
- 到 这里 以后，我 的 生活 更 方便 了。After arriving here, my life got more convenient.
- 如果 你 不 说，我 会 更 生气。If you don't talk, I will get angrier.
Structure with 比
While 更 (gèng) is not a substitute for 比 (bǐ) (the classic comparison word), the two can be used together.
A 比 B + 更 + adj.
This expresses that "A is even more Adj. than B."
- 今天 比 昨天 更 热。 Today is even hotter than yesterday.
- 这里 比 那里 更 吵。 It's even noisier here than there.
- 这 个 女孩子 比 那 个 更 漂亮。 This girl is prettier than that one.
- 啤酒 比 白酒 更 好喝。Beer is better to drink than white wine.
- 汉语 比 法语 更 难。Chinese is more difficult than French.
- 中国 的 东西 比 美国 的 更 便宜。 Chinese things are cheaper than American things.
- 现在 的 工作 比 以前 的 更 有意思。The work now is more interesting than the work before.
- 她 现在 的 男朋友 比 以前 的 更 有钱。 Her current boyfriend has more money than her previous boyfriend.
- 这 个 酒吧 比 那 个 更 吵。 This bar is noisier than that one.
- 住 在 美国 比 住 在 英国 更 无聊。It is more boring to live in America than in England.
Sources and further reading
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (p. 231) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (p. 15) →buy
- Chinese: An Essential Grammar, Second Edition (p. 54) →buy