Again in the past with "you"
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing time and date, Referring to the past|
Whenever you want to express something like "you did it again!" in Chinese, you may want to use 又.
There are two words for "again" in Chinese. This depends on whether the repetition has happened, or whether it's going to happen.
If the repetition has happened, i.e. it's a repetition in the past, 又 is used.
Subject + 又 + Verb + 了
Notice that 了 is used as the action is complete.
- 你 又 迟到 了。You came late again.
- 他 又 喝醉 了， 他 的 肝 怎么 受 得 了 呢？He's drinking beer again. How does his stomach handle it?
- 苹果十五块钱一斤？你 又 被 骗 了，我 已经 跟 你 说 过 买菜 的 时候 一定 要 讲价！Fifteen kuai per jin for apples? You've been tricked again. I've already told you：when you're buying food, you need to bargain.
- Again in the future with "zai"
- Comparing "zai" and "you"
- Doing Something Over and Over with "zaisan"
Sources and further reading
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 141-2) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 157) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 288) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 202) →buy
- Yale Chinese Usage Dictionary: Using 再 and 又