"Before" in general
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing time and date|
Using "before" in Chinese is very simple.
To talk about things in the past "in general", you can use the word 以前 (yǐqián).
以前 + Subject + Verb + Object
You can use this structure to talk about actions that happened at some unspecified time in the past.
- 以前，我 不 会 中文。Before, I could not speak Chinese.
- 以前，我 不 喝 啤酒。Before, I didn't drink beer.
- 以前，我 不 喜欢 电影。Before, I didn't like movies.
Sources and further reading
- Boya Chinese Elementary Starter 2 (博雅汉语初经起步篇) (pp. 11) →buy
- Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide (pp. 268) →buy