Sequencing past events with "houlai"
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Sequencing events in time, Referring to the past, Expressing order|
"..., 后来..." (..., hòulái...) is used to sequence past events in the same way that "Afterward..." is in English. Something very important to note is that 后来 can only be used with two events that have already occurred.
Past Event #1 + 后来 + Past Event #2
Here are some examples of this pattern in action:
- 开始 他 不 同意, 但 后来 他 同意 了。 At first he didn't agree, but then he did later.
- 上 个 星期 我 的 朋友 生病 了，不过 后来 他 病 好 了。Last week my friend got sick, but then he got better.
- 她 昨天 吃 了 海鲜，后来 她 食物 中毒 了。She ate seafood yesterday, but then she got food poisoning.
- Before and after with "zhiqian" and "zhihou"
- Saying "ever since" with "yilai"
- In the future in general
- Comparing "houlai" and "ranhou"
Sources and further reading