The filler word "neige"
|Is used for||Connecting ideas|
|Keywords||那个, 那, 个|
Sometimes when speaking you may blank out a bit, forget a little word or phrase, and you need something to say while gathering your thoughts. Or maybe you need to stall for a while. Well, the word 那个（nèige) is just what you need.
In English, words like "uhm" and "er" are used as filler words when you're thinking about what to say. In Chinese, 那个 (nèige) is used for this purpose. This can sound a bit unfortunate to English speakers, but it's very common in Mandarin and you'll hear it quite often around Chinese speakers.
那个 can be inserted into sentences wherever you need to pause for thought. This is similar to the slang use of "like" in English, or filler words in general.
- 那个...这样 做 不 好 吧？
- 那个...你 可以 做 我 的 女 朋友 吗？
- 那个...不好意思，我 要 走 了。
- 她 很 漂亮，就 像 那个... 明星 一样。
- 那个...我 不 和 你们一起 吃饭 了，好 吗？So. . .uhm, I won't eat with you guys, OK?
- 我 想 吃 那个... 那个...湖南 菜。I want to eat that. . .uhm. . .whatchamacallit. . .Hunan cuisine.
- 那个...我 明天 可能 晚 点儿 到 公司。Uhm...I might be a little bit late for work tomorrow.
- 我 想 看 看 你 刚 买 的 那个...那个...iPhone。I‘d like to have a look at ···uhm···your iphone you just bought.
- 那个...我 得 去 开会 了。Uhm...I have to attend a meeting.
- 昨天 那个...那个...小笼包 真 好吃。The ···uhm···steamed soup dumplings were so delicious.
Needs academic references!