Age with "sui"
- Measure word "ge" (A1)
Use 岁 (suì) to give a person's age, similar to how we say "years old" in English. There are a details that work differently from English, however.
Basic Structure for 岁 (suì)
The structure for telling someone's age with 岁 (suì) is:
Subj. + Number + 岁
This is equivalent to someone "is x years old" in English. Notice that you don't need to include any verb when you use 岁 (suì).
- 我 20 岁 。I am 20 years old.
- 我 儿子 一 岁 。My son is one year old.
- 我 妈妈 今年 45 岁 。My mother is 45 years old this year.
- 你 爷爷 今年 80 岁 吗？Is your grandpa eighty years old this year?
- 他 女朋友 也 20 岁 吗？Is his girlfriend also twenty years old?
- 我 的 孩子 一 个 岁 。
- 我 的 孩子 是 一 岁 。
- 我 的 孩子 一 岁 。My child is one year old.
Adding "And a Half" to an Age
The word for "half" in Chinese is 半 (bàn), and you simply add this after 岁 (suì).
Subj. + Number + 岁 + 半
- 她两岁半。 She is two and a half years old.
- 我 儿子 一 岁 半。My son is one and a half years old.
Sources and further reading
- Short-term Spoken Chinese: Intermediate (汉语口语速成中级篇) Chapter 10
- New Concept Chinese (新概念汉语 初级本I) Chapter 5