Combining verbs with "bing"
并 (bìng) can be used to connect verbs. In this structure the two verbs should be of equal importance.
The verb phrases in the pattern below are often two-syllable verbs, and usually somewhat formal.
In some cases, the two verb phrases on either side of 并 are of equal stress or importance. When 并 means "moreover," however, it can be replaced with 并且.
[Verb Phrase 1] + 并 + [Verb Phrase 2]
Notice that 并且 is used with verbs, unlike 和, which is used mostly with nouns.
Here are some examples:
- 我 同意 并 支持 你 的 决定。I agree with and support your decision.
- 要 继续 保持 并 发扬 优秀 的 民族 传统。We will continue to maintain and carry forward our excellent national traditions.
- 会议 讨论 并 通过 了 今年 的 工作 计划。The meeting discussed and approved the work plan for this year.
- 脱欧 后 ， 英国 需要 跟 很 多 国家 进行 贸易 谈判 并 签订 贸易 协议 。After leaving Europe, Britain will have to negotiate and sign trade agreements with many countries.
- 当 他们 克服 了 困难 并 获得 成功 以后 ， 他们 会 觉得 特别 有 成就感 。When they overcome the difficulties and succeed, they will feel especially accomplished.
- 为了 降低 贫富差距 ， 政府 制定 了 新 的 政策 并 开始 实施 。In order to reduce the gap between the rich and the poor, the government formulated new policies and began to implement them.
- 苹果 公司 自从 1980 年 在 科克 开始 运营 , 并 逐步 扩大 规模 。Apple has been operating in Cork since 1980, and has been gradually expanding.
- 我们 会 和 合作 公司 尽快 沟通 并 解决 这 件 事 。We will work with the partner company to resolve this matter as soon as possible.
- 产品 经理 负责 和 工程师 合作 并 制定 产品 策略 。The product manager is responsible for working with the engineers to develop the product strategy.
- 我们 希望 给 客户 提供 最 周到 的 服务 ， 想到 并 满足 客户 每 一 个 需求 。We want to provide our customers with the best possible service, and we want to think about and meet their every need.
Rarely will a bare verb (rather than a verb phrase) appear both before and after 并且. Where this is the case the sentence will normally take the tone of an imperative, instructing someone to do something.