Combining verbs with "bing"
并 (bìng) can be used to connect verbs. In this structure the two verbs should be of equal importance.
The verb phrases in the pattern below are often two-syllable verbs, and usually somewhat formal.
In some cases, the two verb phrases on either side of 并 are of equal stress or importance. When 并 means "moreover," however, it can be replaced with 并且.
[Verb Phrase 1] + 并 + [Verb Phrase 2]
Notice that 并且 is used with verbs, unlike 和, which is used mostly with nouns.
Here are some examples:
- 我 同意 并 支持 你 的 决定。I agree with and support your decision.
- 要 继续 保持 并 发扬 优秀的 民族 传统。We will continue to maintain and carry forward our excellent national traditions.
- 会议 讨论 并 通过 了 今年的 工作 计划。The meeting discussed and approved the work plan for this year.
- 脱欧 后 ， 英国 需要 跟 很 多 国家 进行 贸易 谈判 并 签订 贸易 协议 。After leaving Europe, Britain will have to negotiate and sign trade agreements with many countries.
- 当 他们 克服 了 困难 并 获得 成功 以后 ， 他们 会 觉得 特别 有 成就感 。When they overcome the difficulties and succeed, they will feel especially accomplished.
Rarely will a bare verb (rather than a verb phrase) appear both before and after 并且. Where this is the case the sentence will normally take the tone of an imperative, instructing someone to do something.