Expressing "however" with "ran'er"
Statement, 然而 + [Unexpected Outcome/Contrary Statement]
- 今天我本来想去泰山玩, 然而，天却下起了大雨. I originally wanted to go to Tai Mountain, however it was raining hard.
- 我以为他会来, 然而他一直没有来. I thought he would come, but he never came.
- 虽然他是一名家庭顾问, 然而他自己的家庭生活却一团糟. He may be a family consultant, but his own family life is bad.
- Two words for "but"
- The "however" adverb "que"
- A softer "but" with "buguo"
- Expressing "on the contrary" with "fan'er"
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4下 (pp. 10) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 58) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy
- Anything Goes (无所不谈) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy