Expressing "let alone" with "bie shuo"
别说 (bié shuō) means something like "leaving aside" or "don't think about," and is used in the following way:
别说 + A ， 连 / 就是+ B + 也 / 都 + Verb
This is similar to English where we might say: "don't think about preparing a banquet, you can't even make instant noodles." Note that this sentence structure is the reverse to the 更不用说 pattern.
- 别说 一百， 就是 一 块 钱 我 也 不 给 你 。Don't think about one hundred, I won't even give you one kuai.
- 别说 白酒，连 啤酒 的 味道 我 都 受 不了。Don't even mention baijiu, I can't even stand the taste of beer.
- 这么 难 的 问题，别说 你，就是 老师 也 不 知道 答案。Don't even mention you, the teacher can't even know the answer to such a difficult question.
- 别说 做 菜 了，他 连 怎么 煮 方便面 都 不 知道。Don't even think about cooking. He doesn't even know how to boil instant noodles.
且不说 is more formal than 别说, but is used in the same way.
- "Let Alone" with "hekuang"
- "Let Alone" with "geng buyong shuo"
- Expressing "Even" with "lian" and "dou"
Sources and further reading
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (pp. 85) [ →buy]