Expressing "moreover" with "bingqie"
并且 (bìngqiě) means "moreover," and can be used to connect verbs. In this structure the two verbs should be of equal importance.
[Verb Phrase 1] + 并 / 并且 + [Verb Phrase 2]
Notice that 并且 is used with verbs, unlike 和, which is used with nouns.
Here are some examples:
- 你 要 按照 我 说 的 做 并且 要 做 好。I need you to do as I say and also do it well.
- 我 同意 并且 支持 你 的 决定。I agree with and support your decision.
- 我 会 帮 你 找到 问题 并且 解决 问题。I can help you find the problem and also solve it.
- 我 通知 了 所有 的 人，并且 准备 了 所有 的 材料。I informed everyone and also prepared all of the materials.
- 爸爸 批评 了 我 并且 告诉 我 以后 不 能 说谎。My dad criticized me and and also told me that I cannot lie again.
- 这种 现象 很 常见 并且 会 持续 很 长 时间。This type of phenomenon is very common and will also continue for a very long period of time.
- 控制 饮食 并且 多 运动，会 让 你 的 身材 越来越 好。Controlling your diet and also exercising more will give you a better and better figure.
- 我们 负责 安装 并且 维护 这个 系统。We're in charge of installing and also maintaining this system.
- 你 要 编辑 并且 打印 这 个 文件。You need to edit and also print out this document.
- 我们 需要 的 是 有 丰富 的 工作 经验 并且 懂 得 团队 合作 的 员工。What we need is an employee with rich work experience and also an understanding of teamwork.
Rarely will a bare verb (rather than a verb phrase) appear both before and after 并且. Where this is the case the sentence will normally take the tone of an imperative, instructing someone to do something.