Expressing "moreover" with "bingqie"
并且 (bìngqiě) means "moreover" and can be used to connect verbs. In this structure the two verbs should be of equal importance.
[Verb Phrase 1] + 并 / 并且 + [Verb Phrase 2]
Notice that 并且 is most often used with verbs, unlike 和, which is used mostly with nouns. The meaning "moreover" means that the second part of the sentence takes the idea in the first part even further. It is rather formal.
- 我 同意 并且 支持 你 的 决定。I agree with and support your decision.
- 我 会 帮 你 找到 问题 并且 解决 问题。I can help you find the problem and also solve it.
- 我 通知 了 所有 的 人，并且 准备 了 所有 的 材料。I informed everyone and also prepared all of the materials.
- 你 要 编辑 并且 打印 这 个 文件。You need to edit and also print out this document.
- 我们 需要 的 是 有 丰富 的 工作 经验 并且 懂 得 团队 合作 的 员工。What we need is an employee with rich work experience and also an understanding of teamwork.
- 控制 饮食 并且 多 运动，会 让 你 的 身材 越来越 好。Controlling your diet and also exercising more will give you a better and better figure.
- 我们 负责 安装 并且 维护 这个 系统。We're in charge of installing and also maintaining this system.
- 你 要 按照 我 说 的 做 并且 也 要 做 好。I need you to do as I say and also do it well.
- 这种 现象 很 常见 并且 还 会 持续 很 长 时间。This type of phenomenon is very common and will also continue for a very long period of time.
- 爸爸 批评 了 我， 并且 ，他 告诉 我 以后 不 能 说谎。My dad criticized me and and also told me that I cannot lie again.
Rarely will a bare verb (rather than a verb phrase) appear both before and after 并且. Where this is the case the sentence will normally take the tone of an imperative, instructing someone to do something.