Expressing "that's all" with "eryi"
|This article is a stub. Editors can help the Chinese Grammar Wiki by expanding it.|
而已 expresses that something is merely what it is. It is like saying "it's only a test, that's all." 而已 is put at the end of the sentence to emphasis that something is just what it is.
Whenever you need to emphasize that something is just what it is and nothing more, you can stick 而已 at the end of the sentence. You can also use it in combination with 仅仅，只，就，才 and so on , which means "merely," though it is optional.
Subj. + Verb + Obj. + 而已
- 一 杯 咖啡 而已，不 要 这么 感动。It's just a cup of coffee, don't be so moved.
- 一千 块 而已？你 不要 说得 这么 容易。Only one thousand yuan? Don't make it so easy.
- 他 只 是 开 个 玩笑 而已，不 要 当 真。He's only joking, don't take it seriously.
- 只 是 电视剧 而已，现实中 可 没有 这样 的 事儿。It's just a TV series. There is no such thing in reality.
- 你 才 喝 了 一 瓶 啤酒 而已，怎么 会 喝 醉 了 呢？You just drank one bottle of beer, how can you be drunk?
- 才 一个 问题 而已，她 就 开始 生气 了。There was only one problem, and she started to get angry.
- 这 次 会议 没有 达成 具体 的 方案，仅仅 是 在 这 个 问题 上 达成 了 共识 而已。This meeting did not produce a plan of action, only an agreement that there was an issue.
- 仅仅 是 打了 一个 电话 而已，我 没有 帮 什么 忙。It was just a phone call, I didn't help much.
- 这 辆 车 没 什么 特别，它 就 是 辆 普通 的 汽车 而已。This car is nothing special, it's just an ordinary car.
- 就是 一个 吻 而已，没有 什么 特别 的意思。It's just a kiss, nothing special.
Sources and further reading