Expressing "to be worth" doing with "zhide"
值得 (zhídé) means "to be worth" doing something, and is often placed before a verb or a verb phrase. Note that it is used to describe whether an action is worth it and cannot be used to state that something is worth a certain monetary value. For that 值 must be used on its own.
值得 as an Adverb
值得 + Verb / Verb Phrase
- 巴金 的 散文 很 值得 一 看 。 Ba Jin's prose deserves a look.
- 虽然 不 容易，但是 值得 去 尝试。It's not easy, but it's worth a try.
- 雷锋 助人为乐 的 精神 值得 我们 学习。The spirit of altruism merits some study.
- 这 件 小事 不 值得 你 担心。This little thing isn't worth your time.
- 这个 房子 不 值得 投资。This house is not worth investing in.
值得 as a Predicate
值得 can also be used as a predicate all by itself, or following a verb phrase.
(Verb Phrase +) 值得
- 值得 吗？ 值得。Is it worth it? Yes. It's worth it.
- 上 大学 很 值得。Going to college is really worth it.
- 学 汉语 是 值得 的。Studying Chinese is worth it.
- 你 觉得 做 什么 事情 是 值得 的？What do you think is worth doing?
- 没有 什么 是 值得 的。Nothing is worth it.
Sources and Further Reading
- HSK Standard Course 4上 (pp. 70) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词 (pp. 677-678) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy