|This article is a stub. Editors can help the Chinese Grammar Wiki by expanding it.|
- Also known as: 方位名词 (fāngwèi míngcí), 方位词 (fāngwèi cí) and noun of locality.
Location nouns are nouns showing direction and location.
AKA: position nouns, nouns of locality
Nouns showing direction and location
- Single character location nouns (e.g. 上, 下, 里 etc.) rarely used on their own. Usually combined with -边, -面, 以- or 之- to make two-character location nouns. These can be adverbs (adverbial adjuncts - can have more than one in a phrase).
- Single character location noun usually attach to other nouns, e.g. 屋子里.
- Some rules for 里 / 里边
- Must be used after nouns for containers, e.g. *巧克力在盒子
- Cannot be used after nouns for geographical areas, e.g. *我在北京里
Sources and further reading
- A Practical Chinese Grammar For Foreigners (外国人实用汉语语法) (pp. 20 - 24) →buy
- Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar (pp. 38) →buy
- Chinese: An Essential Grammar, Second Edition (pp. 81-2) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 2 (新实用汉语课本2) (pp. 154) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 67- 9) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课上册） (p. 74)→buy
- Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide →buy (pp. 291-294)