Difference between revisions of "Marking a topic with "de hua""
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
== Examples ==
== Examples ==
Revision as of 06:57, 27 November 2020
You probably already know that 的话 (de huà) can be put at the end of a phrase to express the meaning of "if." It can be used independently, or with 如果, both meaning "if." But it can also be used to simply identify a topic, sort of like saying "when it comes to...."
的话 can also be used to introduce a topic which the speaker intends to say more about.
Topic + 的话 ，Comment
Sometimes it's a fine line between an "if" statement and an "as for..." statement, as you'll see in some of the sentences below.
- 北京 的话，秋天 去 最好 。As for Beijing, autumn is the best time to go.
- 晚上 的话，当然 方便 啦 。The evening? Of course that's convenient.
- 这个 问题 的话，我 不 太 方便 说 。As for this question, it's not convenient for me to talk about it.
- 葡萄 的话，一定 要 吃 最 新鲜 的。For grapes, always eat the freshest ones.
- 我 肯定 能 去 。 他 的话 ，我 就 不知道 了。I can definitely go. As for him, I don't know.
- 回 老家 的话，还是 坐 高铁 比较 方便。If you want to go back to your hometown, it's more convenient to take the high-speed train.
- 买 相机 的话，我 觉得 Sony相机 不错。If you want to buy a camera, I think Sony cameras are good.
- 我们 的 要求 比较 高 。具体 来说 的话 ，有 三 个 方面 。Our requirement is quite high. Specifically, there are three aspects.
- 你 去 上海 旅游 的话，一定 要 去 外滩。If you're going to Shanghai, you must go to the Bund.
- 买 衣服 的话，还是 要 去 实体店 试试的。If you want to buy clothes, you should go to a real store.
Sources and further reading
- Chinesegrammar.info: Chinese grammar de hua (的话): expressing “if” in Chinese with de hua