Difference between revisions of "Using "because" with "er" to indicate effect"
m (Simingjie moved page "Because" with "er" Indicating Effect to "Because" with "er" indicating effect)
Revision as of 07:30, 27 June 2013
因为...而...(yīnwèi...ér...) is another structure that can express cause and effect. It is used like this:
object + 因(为) + cause + 而 + result
Sometimes, 因为 can be shortened to just 因. This is used more in sentences that shorter and more succinct.
- 我 因为 生病 而 请假。Because I got sick, I asked for time off.
- 欧洲 的 经济 因为 债务 危机 而 陷入 衰退。Because Europe is suffering a debt crisis, it is falling into decline.
- 首相 因为 受贿 丑闻 而 下 了 台。Because the prime minister accepted bribes, he fell from power.
- 伦敦 地铁 因 罢工 而 处于 瘫痪 状态。Because of the London Metro strike, everything shut down.
Sources and further reading
- Yale Chinese Usage Dictionary: Usage of 而