Using "dao" to mean "to go to"
A simple and direct way to indicate that you or someone is going to a specific place or has arrived at a specific place is to use the verb 到 (dào).
The verb 到 (dào) is used to talk about going to places.
Subj. + 到 + Place
- 他们 已经 到 酒吧 了。 They already got to the bar.
- 我 刚 到 家。 I just got home.
- 你 到 公司 了 吗？ Did you get to the company?
- 我们 先 到 北京 ， 然后 到 香港。 First we'll arrive in Beijing, then in Hong Kong.
- 请 问 这 个 地铁 到 火车站 吗 ？ Excuse me, does this subway go to the train station?
Place and action
If you are going to a place to do something else, you can add 去 (qù) and the verb. This has the meaning of "going to the place to do something."
Subj. + 到 + Place + 去 + Action
- 我 到 中国 去 学习 中文 。 I go to China to study Chinese.
- 你 到 那儿 去 做 什么 ？ What did you go there to do?
- 他们 要 到 酒吧 去 喝 酒 。 They are going to the bar to drink.
- 今年 我们 到 中国 去 旅游 。 This year we are going to China to travel.
- 我们 到 公园 去 看书 吧 。 Let's go to the park to read.
- 我们 经常 到 KTV 去 唱歌 。 We often go to Karaoke to sing songs.
- 明天 我 到 女朋友 家里 去 见 她 的 父母 。 Tomorrow I am going to my girlfriend's house to meet her parents.
- 我 想 到 商店 去 买 点 水果 。 I want to go to the store to buy fruit.
- 你们 到 哪里 去 吃饭 啊 ？ Where do you all go to eat food?
- 小 狗 到 沙发 上 去 睡觉 了 。 The small dog went on top of the sofa to sleep.
到, 去, and 走
Sometimes it can be hard to figure out exactly which word to use in Chinese to mean "go." 到 (dào) is used when you talk about arriving at a place, emphasizing the destination. 去 (qù) is used when you are going to a place. The exact meaning is "to go," and it emphasizes getting somewhere. 走 (zǒu) is used when talking about "leaving." The emphasis is on getting away from a particular place.