Using "zhe" when "verbing away"
A repeated verb followed by the particle 着 (zhe) is used to show that an action has been repeated for a period of time, and as a result a new situation has arisen which the speaker wishes to comment on.
Verb + 着 + Verb + 着 + 就 + Comment + 了
- 说着 说着 我 就 发现 自己 也 糊涂 了。I was talking and talking, and then I confused myself.
- 我 今天 一直 都 在 看 《论语》， 看着 看着，就 睡着 了。Today, I was reading the Confucian Analects all day. As I was reading, I fell asleep.
- 我 在 北京 的 胡同 里 走 着 走 着 就 走丢 了。As I was walking in one of Beijing's back roads, I got lost.
- 我 玩 着 玩 着 游戏，就 把 时间 忘了。I played and played and played, and I forgot the time.
- 我 听 着 听 着 歌，就 唱 起来 了。I listened and sang, and I began to sing.
- 两 个 人 吃 着 吃 着 饭，就 吵 起来 了。We ate and ate, and then we quarreled.
- 写 着 写 着 ，就 发现 办公室 大家 都 走 了。As we wrote, we realized that everyone in the office had left.
- 今天 在 家 录 视频， 录 着 录 着 ，天 都 已经 黑 了。Today, I recorded a video at home, and as I did so, it was already dark.
- 喝 着 喝 着 ，从 酒 里面 喝 出来 一 根 头发。I drank and drank and drank and drank, and a hair came out of the wine.
- 我 上 着 上 着 课，就 听到 外面 有 人 叫 我。As I was going to class, I heard someone calling me outside.