Tone pair 1-4
This page will cover some examples of the 1-4 tone pair, which Sinosplice rates as a "3" on a difficulty rating of 1-7 (easiest to hardest).
When practicing, First character is flat and high, when going into the second character start low then go lower before rising to a high tone. Practice this tone pair using the words below. Once you can say them reliable in isolation (as just a tone pair), try putting them in longer sentences while keeping the tones accurate.
1-4 Tone Pair Combos
Source: Sinosplice's Mandarin Chinese Tone Pair Drills (used with permission)
- 真快 (zhēn kuài) really fast
- 真大 (zhēn dà) really big
- 真贵 (zhēn guì) really expensive
- 真热 (zhēn rè) really hot
- 真饿 (zhēn è) really hungry
1-4 Tone Pair Words
Sources and further reading
- Sinosplice: The Process Of Learning Tones
- Sinosplice: Mandarin Chinese Tone Pair Drills, New Feature: Mandarin Chinese Tone Pair Drills
- Hacking Chinese: Focusing on tone pairs to improve your Mandarin pronunciation
- About.com: How tone pairs can improve your Mandarin pronunciation