Comparing "gaoxing" and "kuaile"
高兴 (gāoxìng) and 快乐 (kuàilè) can both be translated as “happy," but are used in slightly different contexts. 高兴 is used in informal and formal situations, while 快乐 is used in mainly formal situations and well-wishing. 高兴 usually describes a happy feeling that is expressed outwardly with action or word (think "cheerful"), whereas 快乐 describes a feeling that one feels deep down on the inside (think "joyful"). 快乐 is sometimes used as a noun, meaning "happiness."
高兴 (gāoxìng) | 快乐 (kuàilè) | |
---|---|---|
Meaning | happy, cheerful | happy, joyful |
Part of Speech | adjective | adjective, noun |
Formality | flexible | formal |
Contents
Use 高兴 for typical "happy" feelings
Think of a happy person with a big smile, a person enjoying a meal with friends, the feeling of enjoying a good weekend. All of these use 高兴.
- 我 跟 你 在 一起 很 高兴。I'm happy when I'm with you.
- 你 最近 有没有 不 高兴 ?Have you been unhappy lately?
- 今天 的 晚会 大家 玩 得 很 高兴。Everyone had a good time at the party today.
- 这次 奥运会 他 得 了 银牌,所以 他 非常 高兴。He won a silver medal at the Olympics this time, so he was happy.
- 如果 你 这样 做,你 的 妈妈 会 不 高兴 的。If you do that, your mom won't be happy.
- 我 喜欢 赢,输 的 时候 我 会 很 不 高兴。I like to win and I get very unhappy when I lose.
- 他 最近 升职 了,所以 他 很 高兴。He was recently promoted so he is happy.
- 我 今天 不太 高兴,因为 我 的 手机 被 偷 了。I'm not so happy today because my phone was stolen.
- 我 很 高兴,因为 今天 的 飞机 按时 起飞 了。I'm happy because the plane took off on time today.
Use 快乐 for a deeper sense of "happiness"
Think of the feeling you have after finishing a long, hard task, spending a wonderful year abroad, or marrying your soulmate. It's also the one you use when you take a hard look at your life and ask, "am I happy?"
Example Sentences for "deeper happy"
- 你 觉得 你 现在 过 得 快乐 吗?Do you think you are happy now?
- 我 觉得 我 的 童年 是 很 快乐 的。I think I had a very happy childhood.
- 我 在 上海 的 生活 过 得 很 快乐。I am happy with my life in Shanghai.
- 现在 的 孩子 都 过 得 不 太 快乐,因为 他们 的 学习 压力 越来越 大。Nowadays, children are not so happy because they are under more and more pressure to study.
Example Sentences for "happiness"
In this sense, 快乐 can also be used as a noun, meaning "happiness" or "joy."
- 我们 需要 和 朋友 分享 快乐。 We need to share joy with our friends.
Example Sentences for "happy events"
快乐 is also more likely to be used when describing a "happy event."
- 帮助 别人 是 一 件 很 快乐 的 事情。Helping others is a joyful thing to do.
Use 高兴 to say “nice to meet you” in introductions
This one is quite simple and cane be summed up in the following examples:
- 认识 你 很 高兴。Nice to meet you.
- 很 高兴 认识 你 。Nice to meet you.
- 今天 我 很 高兴 认识 大家。I'm happy to meet everyone today.
快乐 is often used in well-wishing
This use is very similar to the use of "Happy Birthday," "Happy New Year," or "Merry Christmas" in English.
- 生日 快乐Happy Birthday
- 圣诞节 快乐Merry Christmas
- 新年 快乐Happy New Year
- 春节 快乐Happy Chinese New Year
Only 高兴 can be used as a verb to mean “to be happy to”
This usage is definitely less common, but you will see it.
- 我 很 高兴 听 到 这个 好 消息。I am so glad to hear the good news.
- 我 的 爷爷 一定 会 很 高兴 看 到 你们。My grandfather will be so happy to see you all.
- 我们 今天 很 高兴 可以 吃 到 这么 好吃 的 中国 菜。We are so happy to have such good Chinese food today.