- Also known as: 四声 (sìshēng).
One of the first concepts you need to learn when tackling Mandarin Chinese is tones. You'll often hear that there are four main tones, although there is also a "neutral tone," so you sometimes hear it said that there are five.
Sources and further reading
- Wikipedia: Standard Chinese phonology: Tones
- Wikipedia: Mandarin Chinese: Tones
- Wikipedia: Four tones (Chinese)
- Sinosplice: Toward Better Tones in Natural Speech
- Hacking Chinese: Tones are more important than you think
- Sinosplice: Kaiser’s “Dude System” of Tones