Comparing "gai" and "gaibian"
改 (gǎi) and 改变 (gǎibiàn) are both verbs that mean “to change” and can sometimes be used interchangeably. 改 is used in informal situations, whereas 改变 can be used in both informal and formal contexts. A key difference between these words is that 改 can also mean to "correct" or "to rectify" a mistake. Furthermore, only 改变 can also be used as a noun.
改 (gǎi) | 改变 (gǎibiàn) | |
---|---|---|
Meaning | to change, to correct | to change; a change |
Part of Speech | verb | verb, noun |
Formality | informal | flexible |
Contents
改 is an informal verb
改 means "to change"
不能和“改变”互换
- 改 时间 to change time
- 改 地方to change Place
- 改 机票 to change ticket
- 改 信息to change information
- 她 比较 了 机票 的 价格 , 然后 改 了 机票 。 She compared the price of the ticket and changed it.
- 这里 可以 改 订单 信息 , 比如 你 的 地址 。 Here you can change the order information, such as your address.
- 几 年 之间,家乡 完全 改 了 样子 了。 In a few years, the hometown has completely changed its appearance.
- 我 今天 没有 时间 上课,我们 可以 改 时间 吗? I don't have time to go to class today, can we change the time?
- 聚会的 地方 改 了,你 知道 吗? The meeting place has changed, do you know?
改 means “to correct"
- 这个 错 的 句子 应该 怎么 改 ? How should I change this wrong sentence?
- 我 改 了 我 的 坏 习惯 。 I have changed my bad habit.
- 写 错的 字 都 改 了 。 I've changed all the words I wrote wrong.
改 can be followed by complements
- 合同 里面 有 个 小 问题,你 可以 帮 我 改 一下 吗? There is a small problem in the contract, can you help me correct it?
- 这个 写 错 的 句子 改 好 了 吗? Have you corrected this misspelled sentence?
- 我 可以 改 一下 明天 的 上课 时间 吗 ? Can I change the time of tomorrow's class?
- 这个 裤子 太 长 了 , 可以 改 短 一点 吗 ? The pants are too long, can you make it shorter?
改变 is often a verb
如果说口语的表达,可以和“改”互换,比如说“改/改变计划”,但是“改变”更为正式一点。
- 改变 计划 to change plan
- 改变 方式 to change the way
- 改变 态度 to change attitudes
- 改变 政策 to change policy
- 周末 天气 不 好 , 所以 我 改变 了 我的 计划 。 The weather was not good over the weekend, so I changed my plans.
- 手机 改变 了 大家 的 生活 方式 。 Cell phones have changed the way people live.
- 我 改变 了 我 的 想法 。 I've changed my mind.
- 最近 , 经理 对 我的 态度 改变 了 很多 。 Recently, my manager's attitude towards me has changed a lot.
- 大家 都 希望 政府 能 改变 政策 。 We all hope that the government will change its policy.
改变 can also be a noun
- 现在 上海 有 很 大 的 改变 。 Now Shanghai has changed a lot.
- 家长 和 老师 也 没有 经历 过 这种 教育 系统 的 改变 。 Parents and teachers have not experienced this kind of change in the education system.
- 她 说 了 以后 , 她 的 工作 方法 还是 没有 任何 的 改变。 After she said that, her working methods remained unchanged.