Comparing "dai" and "dai"
带 (dài) and 戴 (dài) are both verbs that can be confused in written Chinese because both are pronounced “dài” (fourth tone). While both can be used in informal/formal situations, their meanings are very different as 带 means "to bring" or "to carry," whereas 戴 means "to wear" (an accessory).
|带 (dài)||戴 (dài)|
|Meaning||to bring, to take, to carry along||to wear (an accessory)|
|Part of Speech||verb||verb|
Use 带 for "to bring" or "to carry"
- 没 带to not carry, to not bring
- 带 钱to bring money
- 带 手机to bring one's cell phone
- 带 词典to bring a dictionary
In the following examples only 带 can be used.
- 我 现在 出去 很 少 带 钱。I rarely take cash with me when I go out now.
- 昨天 他 没 带 他 的 女朋友 来 参加 聚会。Yesterday he didn't bring his girlfriend to the party.
- 上个 星期五 我 出 门 时 忘 带 了 手机。I forgot my cell phone when I went out last Friday.
- 你 带 词典 了 吗？我 想 用 一下。Did you bring a dictionary with you? I'd like to use it.
- 人工 智能 技术 给 大家 带 来 了 很 多 方便。Artificial intelligence technology has brought a lot of convenience to everyone.
Use 戴 to say "to wear" (accessories)
- 戴 眼镜 to wear glasses
- 戴 手套 to wear gloves
- 戴 帽子 to wear a hat
- 戴 手表 to wear a watch
- 戴 口罩 to wear a mask
- 戴 戒指 to wear a ring
- 戴 项链 to wear a necklace
- 戴 领带 to wear a tie
- 戴 耳机 to wear headphones
- 戴 耳环 to wear earrings
- 戴 围巾 to wear a scarf
- 我 现在 很 少 戴 手表，因为 我 用 手机 看 时间。I rarely wear a watch now because I use my phone to check the time.
- 因为 他 的 头发 有点 少，所以 他 常常 戴 帽子。He often wears a hat because he doesn't have a lot of hair.
- 今天 我 出门 的时候 比较 急，所以 我 忘 了 戴 领带。I was in a hurry when I left the house today, so I forgot to wear my tie.
- 因为 疫情，现在 戴 口罩 的 人 越来越 多。Because of the epidemic, more and more people are now wearing masks.
- 今天 不 是 很 冷，你 怎么 戴 围巾 了？It's not very cold today. Why are you wearing a scarf?
For examples of 穿 (chuān), the other verb meaning "to wear," see this comparison of 穿 and 戴.