Comparing "dasuan" and "jihua"
打算 (dǎsuàn) and 计划 (jìhuà) are both verbs as well as nouns that mean "to plan" or "to intend." 打算 is used in informal speech and writing, whereas 计划 is used in formal situations. A key difference between these words is 打算 expresses that a thought or intent to do something exists, but concrete steps or a firm action plan has not yet been finalized, whereas 计划 expresses a thought or idea to do something which not only exists, but also already has a concrete action plan in place to carry out the plan.
|打算 (dǎsuàn)||计划 (jìhuà)|
|Meaning||to plan, to intend; vague plans||to plan, to intend; a concrete plan|
|Part of Speech||verb, noun||verb, noun|
- 1 打算 and 计划 can often be used interchangeably
- 2 打算 is common in spoken Chinese for talking about vague plans
- 3 计划 often involves long-term future goals
- 4 Sources and further reading
打算 and 计划 can often be used interchangeably
In the following examples both 打算 and 计划 can be used.
- 有 什么 打算 / 计划 ？ What's the plan?
- 打算 / 计划 好 了 is all planned
- 有没有 打算 / 计划 ？ Is there a plan?
- 没有 打算 / 计划there is no plan
- 有 打算 / 计划there is a plan
- 关于 今年 国庆节 去 哪里，我 还 没有 什么 打算 。I don't have any plans yet about where to go for the National Day holiday this year.
- 今年 的 圣诞节 你 有 什么 计划 ？What are your plans for Christmas this year?
- 我们 打算 研究 一下 再 决定。We are going to look into it before deciding.
- 我 已经 找到 了 新 工作，所以 下个 月 我 打算 辞职。I have found a new job, so I am planning to quit next month.
打算 is common in spoken Chinese for talking about vague plans
This is exactly the word you want when talking about fluid, indefinite weekend plans. You don't have a detailed itinerary with priority rankings for your weekend activities, right? And everything could change last minute, right? Use 打算.
- 你 今天 晚上 打算 做 什么？What are you planning to do tonight?
- 明天 她 打算 去 看 医生。Tomorrow she plans to go to the doctor.
- 我 打算 退休 以后 回 老家。I'm planning to go back to my hometown after I retire.
- 这个 周末 我 还 没有 什么 打算 。I don't have any plans for this weekend yet.
- 明年 我们 打算 换 一 批 新 的 供应商 。We are planning to get a new batch of suppliers next year.
计划 often involves long-term future goals
These are the kinds of serious plans related to work, academics, and government policies. Detailed itineraries and timetables with priority rankings and Gantt charts are all on the table when you use 计划.
- 研究 计划research plan
- 学习 计划study plan
- 一份 计划a (written) plan
- 做 计划to make a plan
- 计划 未来to plan for the future
- 计划 生育family planning, birth control
- 你 是 怎么 计划 你 的 未来 的？How do you plan your future?
- 这 是 我们 今年 的 研究 计划 。This is our research plan for this year.
- 我 做 了 一 份 未来 三 年 的 学习 计划。I've made a study plan for the next three years.
- 在 你 的 国家 有 计划 生育 政策 吗？Do you have a family planning policy in your country?