Questions with "ne"
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing attitude, Asking questions|
The particle 呢 (ne) can be used to ask reciprocal questions, also known as "bounce back" questions. 呢 can also be used to ask questions such as "what about" or "how about."
Topic + 呢 ？
And it's as simple as that. Say what you want to ask about, then stick 呢 on the end. A very common way to use this is to return a question after being asked it. The classic example is this exchange:
- A: 你 好 吗 ？
- B: 我 很 好。你 呢 ？
- A: 我 也 很 好 。
More 呢 examples (each of these can be translated as a "what about" question):
- 这个东西 呢 ？What about this thing?
- 你 妈妈 呢 ？What about your mom?
- 我们 呢 ？What about us?
- 篮球 呢 ？What about basketball?
- 这里 很 多 人。那里 呢 ？There are a lot of people here. How about over there?
- 北京 下 雨 了。上海 呢 ？It's raining in Beijing. How about Shanghai?
- 这 个 用 中文 怎么 说？那 个呢 ？How do I say this in Chinese? And that?
- 我 吃 饭 了。你呢 ？I've eaten. What about you?
- 我 知道 你 会 说 中文。你 老公 呢 ？I know you can speak Chinese. What about your husband?
- 这 个 周末 没 空？下 个 周末 呢 ？You don't have time this weekend? What about next weekend?
- 我 现在 要 出去。你 呢 ？I'm going to go out now. How about you?
- Yes-no questions with "ma"
- Tag questions with "ma"
- Softening the tone of questions with "ne" (advanced article)
Sources and further reading
- Chinese: An Essential Grammar, Second Edition (pp. 137) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (3rd ed) (pp. 23-4) →buy
- Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammar (pp. 300-7) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1) (pp. 87-8) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1)(2nd ed) (pp. 102-3, 251) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课上册） (p. 97)→buy
- East Asia Student: How to use 呢 (ne) in Mandarin