Questions with "ne"
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing attitude, Asking questions|
The particle 呢(ne) can be used to ask reciprocal questions, also known as "bounce back" questions. 呢 can also be used to ask questions such as "what about" or "how about".
Topic + 呢
And it's as simple as that. Say what you want to ask about, then stick 呢 on the end. A very common way to use this is to return a question after being asked it. The classic example is this exchange:
- A: 你 好 吗？
- B: 我 很 好。你呢？
- A: 我 也 很 好。
More 呢 examples (each of these can be translated as a "what about" question):
- 这个东西 呢？What about this thing?
- 你 妈妈 呢？What about your mom?
- 我们 呢？What about us?
- 篮球 呢？What about basketball?
- Yes - no questions with ma
- Tag questions with ma
- Softening the Tone of Questions with "ne" (advanced article)
Sources and further reading
- Chinese: An Essential Grammar, Second Edition (pp. 137) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (3rd ed) (pp. 23-4) →buy
- Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammar (pp. 300-7) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1) (pp. 87-8) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1)(2nd ed) (pp. 102-3, 251) →buy
- East Asia Student: How to use 呢 (ne) in Mandarin