Expressing "all along" with "yuanlai"
原来 (yuánlái) means "originally" (similar to 本来) or "former." It can also mean "all along" and can be used to indicate a sudden realization of something previously unknown—a bit like "so it's been like that all along, how could I not have realized?"
Used as "Original" or "Originally"
原来 + 的 + Noun
Subj. + 原来 + Predicate
- 你 原来 的 发型 也 很 可爱 。Your original hairstyle was also very cute.
- 这 件 衣服 原来 的 价格 是 999 块 。The original price is 999 RMB.
- 她们 原来 只是 邻居 ，现在 是 很好 的 朋友 。Originally they were just neighbors. Now they're very good friends.
- 我们 原来 住 在 浦东 ，几 个 月 以前 搬 到 了 这里 。Originally we lived in Pudong. We moved here a few months ago.
- 原来 她 是 他 的 中文 老师，现在 是 他 老婆 。She was originally his Chinese teacher. She is now his wife.
Used as "All along"
原来 + [New Information]
- 原来 是 你 ！So it was you all along!
- 原来 你们 认识 ！ So you both knew each other this whole time!
- 原来 是 这样 ！Oh, so it's like that!
- 原来 你 这么 有钱！It turns out you are so rich!
- 原来 你 在 骗 我 ！ 我 怎么 那么 傻 ？ You have been tricking me, how could I be so stupid?
The more formal expression 原来如此 (yuánlái rúcǐ) can be used like 原来是这样 in example 3.