Expressing "as much as possible" with "jinliang"
尽量 (jǐnliàng) is an adverb meaning "as much as possible" or "to the greatest extent." In this article, we will do our best to explain how to use it!
Using 尽量 is as simple as adding it before a verb.
尽量 + Verb / Adj.
- 我 会 尽量 想 办法 帮 你 的。I will try my best to figure out something to help you.
- 你 看 书 吧，我 尽量 不 打扰 你。Go ahead and study, I'll do my best to not disturb you.
- 父母 应该 尽量 多 陪 陪 孩子。Parents should do as much as possible to be with the children.
- 你 是 哥哥，要 尽量 照顾 好 妹妹。You are the big brother and you should try your best to take good care of you little sister.
- 我们 要 尽量 避免 问 这 种 问题，有的 客户 会 感觉 很不舒服。We should avoid asking this kind of questions, which could make some clients very uncomfortable.
Sources and further reading
- Boya Chinese Lower Intermediate 1 (博雅汉语准中级加速篇) (pp. 212) [ →buy]
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (pp. 308) [ →buy]
- ChinesePod Jinliang