Expressing "both A and B" with "you"
When you're getting descriptive, you may find yourself wanting to use multiple adjectives at a time. The character 又 (yòu) can be used to give two qualities to something. Using the double 又 (yòu) structure is like saying that something is "both… and…" in English.
The structure in Chinese is:
Subj. + 又 + Adj. 1 + 又 + Adj. 2
The two words shouldn't contrast in feeling. It is important to note they must both be bad or both be good.
- 她 男朋友 又 高 又 帅。Her boyfriend is both tall and handsome.
- 这 个 房子 又 大 又 亮。This house is both big and bright.
- 妈妈 的 头发 又 黑 又 亮。Mom's hair is both black and shiny.
- 我 姐姐 又 聪明 又 漂亮。My older sister is both smart and beautiful.
- 中国 菜 又 便宜 又 好吃。Chinese food is both cheap and good-tasting.
- 你们 老板 又 年轻 又 有钱。Your boss is both young and rich.
- 这里 的 咖啡 又 贵 又 难喝。The coffee here is both expensive and bad-tasting.
- 我 家 小狗 又 可爱 又 听话。My family's dog is both cute and obedient.
- 上海 的 冬天 又 冷 又 湿。Winter here in Shanghai is both cold and humid.
- 她 小时候 又 矮 又 瘦。She was both short and thin when she was young.