Expressing determination with "feiyao"
|This article is a stub. Editors can help the Chinese Grammar Wiki by expanding it.|
Most advanced Chinese learners know how to express "wanting to do something" with 要, but sometimes you need to turn it up a degree and express "absolutely insist on doing something." In that case, you can use 一定要 or 非要. Most time 非要 appears with a self-willed emotional color while一定要 is just a expression of "absolutely wanting " or "absolutely insist" without any emotional color.
How to use 非要
Just use 非要 like the auxiliary verb 要. Often use it coupled with 不可.
Subj. + 非要 + Verb + (不可)
- 我 不 让 他 喝 那么 多，他 非要 喝。I don't want him to drink so much, but he had to.
- 我 不 想 说，可是 她 非要 让 我 说 不可。I didn't want to tell, but she made me tell.
- 天 那么 冷，可是 孩子 非要 穿 裙子 不可 。It's so cold outside, but the child had to wear skirt.
- 他 自己 可以 解决 这 个 问题，干嘛 非要 你 去 帮 他？He can solve this problem by himself. Why would you have to help him?
- 情人节 那天，我 女朋友 非要 让 我 给 她 买 玫瑰花。My girlfriend had to ask me to buy her roses on Valentine's Day.
Sources and further reading