Expressing "the other" with "lingwai"
另外(lìngwài) is often used as a pronoun to denote "the other" and there is no need to add 的 after 另外. 外 can be omitted when it's used with single noun.
Structure
另外 + Number + [Measure Word] + Noun
Examples
- 我 有 两 个 手机 ,一 个 是 小米 ,另 一 个 是 iPhone 。I have two cell phones. One is Xiao Mi, and the other is iPhone.
- 她 有 两 套 房子 ,一 套 自己 住 ,另 一 套 租 出去 了 。She has two houses. She lives in one and rents out the other one.
- 我 买 了 三 张 票 ,一 张 是 我的 ,另外 两 张 是 给 朋友 的。I bought three tickets. One is for myself, and the other two are for my friends.
- 这 几 本 书 我 今天 拿走 ,另外 几 本 下 次 再 拿 。I will take these books today. I can take the others next time.
- 这个 蛋糕 一半 是 你 的 ,另 一半 是 妹妹 的 。Half of this cake is yours. The other half is your little sister's.
- 跟 他 一起 去 的 另外 两 个 人 已经 死 了 。The other two people who went with him already died.
- 今天 见 了 三 个 客户 ,有 一个 我 认识 ,另外 两个 我 不 认识 。I had a meeting with three clients today. I know one of them. I don't know the other two.
- 她 打算 在 北京 待 五 天 。三 天 出去 玩 ,另外 两天 去 看 朋友 。She plans to stay in Beijing for three days. Three days for going out and having fun. The other two days for visiting friends.
- 我们 公司 和 另外 一 家 公司 共用 一个 办公室 。Our company shares the office with another company.
- 在 伦敦 的 时候 ,我们 在 一个 朋友 家 住 了 一个 星期 ,在 另 一个 朋友 家 也 住 了 一个 星期 。When we were in London, we stayed with one friend for a week, and then we staying for another week with another friend.