Expressing "no" (noun) "to" (verb) with "wu... ke..."
This article is a stub. Editors can help the Chinese Grammar Wiki by expanding it. |
This pattern is formal and has sort of a classical feel to it. It's a more condensed form of "没有 [Noun] 可以 [Verb]." 无 (wú) means "to not have" (same as 没有), and 可 can stand in for 可以. This pattern is useful when you want to express that a person is unable to perform the verb because the noun/object is not present.
Structure
无 +Noun + 可 + Verb
Examples
- 我 和 他 无 话 可 说。I had nothing to say to him.
- 从 四月份 开始,公司 客户 减少,我 每天 都 无 事 可 做。Since April, the company has fewer clients, and I have nothing to do every day.
- 公司 需要 招聘 新人 了,我 现在 无 人 可 用。The company needs to recruit new people, and I have no one available now.
- 我的 房子 到期 了,但是 我 还 没有 找到 新 房子,我 现在 无 处 可 去。My house is due, but I haven't found a new one yet, so I have nowhere to go.
- 公司 倒闭 了,小王 觉得 自己 现在 无 路 可 走。The company has closed down, and Wang feels that he has nowhere to go.
- 很多 30岁 以上 的 女演员 说 自己 无 戏 可 拍。Many actresses over 30 say they have no more films to do.
- 公司 的 现金流 断了 ,所以 公司 无 钱 可 用。 The company's cash flow has been cut off, so the company has no money to spend.
- 这 部 电影 太 火 了 ,所有的 票 都 卖 完 了, 无 票 可 买。The movie was so popular that all the tickets were sold out and no tickets were available.
- 飞机 票 只 剩下 一 张 了, 无 座 可 选。There was only one plane ticket left, so there were no seats to choose from.
- 我 在 上海 没有 朋友,所以 这些 烦恼 无 人 可 说。I have no friends in Shanghai, so I have no one to talk to about these worries.