Wanting to do something with "yao"
From Chinese Grammar Wiki
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing desires, Expressing determination|
To express "wanting to do" something, use 要 (yào).
The verb 要 (yào) can be used as an auxiliary verb to indicate wanting to do something.
Subject + 要 + Verb + Object
- 我 要 吃饭。I want to eat.
- 他 要 学习 中文。He wants to study Chinese.
- 她 要 去 酒吧。She wants to go to the bar.
Sources and Further Reading
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (3rd ed) (pp. 231) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1) (pp. 179-80) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1)(2nd ed) (pp. 207) →buy