Wanting to do something with "yao"
From Chinese Grammar Wiki
|Is similar to|
|Is used for||Expressing desires, Expressing determination, Referring to the future, Expressing purpose|
To express "wanting to do" something, use 要 (yào).
The verb 要 (yào) can be used as an auxiliary verb to indicate wanting to do something.
Subject + 要 + Verb + Object
- 我 要 吃 饭。I want to eat.
- 他 要 学 中文。He wants to study Chinese.
- 她 要 去 酒吧。She wants to go to the bar.
- 我 要 去 上海。I want to go to Shanghai.
- 宝宝 要 睡觉。The baby wants to sleep.
- 我们 要 去 超市。We want to go to the supermarket.
- 我 要 去 上班。I want to go to work.
- 我 今天 要 吃 沙拉。Today I want to eat salad.
- 我 要 做 中国 菜。I want to make Chinese food.
- 我 要 请 你们 来 我 家。I want to invite you to come to my home.
Sources and Further Reading
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (3rd ed) (pp. 231) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1) (pp. 179-80) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 1 (新实用汉语课本1)(2nd ed) (pp. 207) →buy