Expressing "as long as" with "zhiyao"
只要⋯⋯就 (zhǐyào... jiù) means "as long as... then...." In other words, whenever A happens, B results.
Use this structure to express that "as long as" [something happens], "then" [something else will happen]. In logic, this is referred to as a "sufficient condition," meaning that it may not be the only way to bring about the these specific consequences, but it is one way.
只要 + Condition ，就 + Result
- 只要 下雨， 她 就 会 心情 不 好 。 As long as it's raining, she will be in a bad mood.
- 只要 有 你 在， 我 就 放心 了 。 As long as you are here, I won't be worried.
- 只要 你 努力 学习， 就 会 有 进步 。 As long as you study hard, you'll make progress.
- 只要 你 真的 喜欢， 我 就 给 你 买 。 As long as you really like it, I will buy it for you.
- 只要 不 堵车， 我们 就 能 准时 到 。 As long as there won't be traffic jam, we can be there on time.
- 只要 你 不 生气 ， 我 就 告诉 你 。 As long as you won't get mad, I'll tell you.
- 只要 你 的 要求 是 合理 的 ， 我们 就 可以 考虑 。 As long as your requirements are reasonable, we will considerate then.
Sources and further reading
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 83) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 124) →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 112) [ →buy]