Comparing "li" and "cong"
Both 离 (lí) and 从 (cóng) can be translated into English as "from." In Chinese however, their meanings are different. 从 is used in cases where the subject's position relative to a fixed location changes. 离 expresses a "static" distance, or a distance that is unchanging. Both can be used in defining distance or time, however 从 has more meanings than 离.
- 1 从 as "from" (Time or Event)
- 2 从 as "from" (Place, Somebody or Something)
- 3 离 as "away from" (Distance)
- 4 离 as "from" (Time or Event)
- 5 Colloquial Saying 离⋯⋯还远呢
- 6 Sources and further reading
从 as "from" (Time or Event)
从 + Time / Event + 开始 / 起
- 从 下个月 起 ，公司 会 越来越 忙 。The company will be busier and busier from next month.
- 从 我 上小学 开始，就 特别 喜欢 画画 。I like drawing since I was in elementary school
从那以后 means "ever since then," while 从今以后 means "from now on."
A few examples:
- 从 那 以后 ，我们 就 没有 联系 了 。We stopped contacting with each other since then.
- 从 今以后 ，我 不用 再 加班 了 。I don't need to work late from now on.
从 as "from" (Place, Somebody or Something)
从 + Place + 上 / 里
- 你 是不是 从 我 包里 拿 了 一百块钱 ？Did you take one hundred RMB from my purse or not?
- 我 从 他 身上 学到 了 很多 东西 。I learned a lot from him.
- 从 这 件 事 可以 看出 你 的 工作 态度 。We can see your work attitude from this.
离 as "away from" (Distance)
Place 1 + 离 + Place 2 + 远 / 近
- 你 家 离 公司 多 远 ？How far is your home from your company?
- 我 家 离 公司 很远 。My home is far from my company.
Try not to say:
- 我 家 很远 从 公司 。
离 as "from" (Time or Event)
Past Event 1 + 离 + Time + Duration
以现在为时间的起点，try this pattern:
离 + Future Event + 还有 + Duration
- 上次见面 离 今天 快 十年 了 。It's been about 10 years since we met last time.
- 离 我们 的 婚礼 还有 两个 星期 。We have two weeks away from our wedding.
- 离 毕业 还有 几个月 。I have a few months away from graduation.
Colloquial Saying 离⋯⋯还远呢
- 我们 刚刚 开始 谈恋爱 ，离 结婚 还远 呢 。We've just started our relationship. It's too soon to talk about marriage.
Sources and further reading