Declaring the only option with "zhihao"
只好 (zhǐhǎo) is an adverb used to express that one "has no choice but to" or "has no other option but to." The option is one the speaker is not fond of.
⋯⋯ ，(Subj. +) 只好 + [Verb Phrase]
- 餐厅 都 关门 了 ，我们 只好 去 吃 KFC 。The other restaurants are all closed, so we didn't have a choice but go to KFC to eat.
- 我 忘 了 预约 ，只好 去 排队 。I forgot to make an appointment, so I had to wait in line.
- 他 没有 时间 去 ，只好 我 去 。He doesn't have time to go, so I have to go.
- 老板 不 给 我 涨 工资 ，我 只好 去 干私活 。The boss wouldn't give me a raise, so I have to take on some side work.
- 她 实在 受不了 那么 吵闹 的 邻居 ，只好 搬走 了 。She really couldn't stand such noisy neighbors, so she had to move away.
- 那天 突然 下雨 了 ，我们 只好 取消 。It suddenly rained that day, so we had to cancel it.
- 警察 给 小偷 看 了 监控 ，小偷 只好 承认 了 。The police showed the surveillance to the thief, so he had to admit it.
- 公司 付 不起 房租 了 ，我们 只好 在家工作 。The company can't afford the rent, so we have to work at home.
- 票价 太 贵 了，我 只好 放弃 了 。The fare was too expensive, so I gave up.
- 最近 工作 太 忙 了，我 只好 取消 了 我 和 朋友 的 旅行。Work has been too busy lately, so I had no choice but to cancel my trip with my friend.