Indicating negative impact with "haide"
Used mostly in spoken Chinese, 害得 (hàide) can indicate that the speaker is now in some kind of trouble or undesirable situation, caused by someone or something else. There's a tone of blame or complaining when using this pattern.
The reason for the trouble should be stated before 害得 (hàide). The 得 can also be omitted.
Reason，害(得) + Undesirable Situation
Keep in mind that 害得 can be tricky to translate directly. It's more a matter of conveying the tone of "this is how you inconvenienced me" or "this situation negatively impacted me." You might see words like "make" or "force" or "keep from" to communicate that tone.
- 下午 喝 了 两 杯 咖啡，害得 我 晚上 睡 不 着。I had two cups of coffee. It kept me from falling asleep at night.
- 外面 太 吵 了，害得 我们 没 办法 专心 工作。It's too noisy outside. It's keeping us from focusing on work.
- 你 昨晚 没 回来，电话 也 打 不通，害得 我 担心 了 一 个 晚上。You didn't come back last night, and I couldn't reach you by phone. You made me worry about you for all night.
- 他 把 我 的 手机 拿 走 了，也 不 跟 我 说 一下，害得 我 找 了 半天。He took my cell phone without telling me. As a result, I spent all day looking for it.
- 我 的 护照 丢 了，害得 我 现在 哪里 也 去 不了。I lost my passport, and now I can't go anywhere.
- 刚 出门 就 下 雨 了，害得 我 又 换 了 一 件 衣服。I had just left the house when it rained, forcing me to change clothes again.
- 老板 让 我 今天 就 去 出差，害得 我 行李 都 没 来得及 收拾。The boss made me leave today, not even giving me enough time to pack.
- 他 总是 迟到，害 大家 在 车站 等 了 他 半 个 小时。He's always late, and made everyone wait for him at the bus station for half an hour.
- 出门 没 买 到 菜，还 害 我 丢 了 一 百 元 钱。I went out and didn't manage to buy any food, but even lost 100 RMB.
- 因为 我 经常 生病，害得 妈妈 总是 担心 我。Because I frequently get sick, it always makes my mom worry about me.
- 路上 堵车，害得 我 差点 错 过 飞机。Traffic was really bad, and almost made me miss my flight.