Expressing "so-called" with "suowei"
所谓 (suǒwèi) is the Chinese way of expressing "so-called." It can also be used in scenarios you would use sarcastic air quotes. Just keep in mind that "so-called" frequently comes with a negative attitude in English, but this is not always so in Chinese.
所谓 + (的) Noun Phrase
The nouns phrase in this pattern is the "so-called name" being called into question. The 的 is optional.
- 所谓 的 天才，有 可能 有 这样的人，也有 可能，他 自己 偷偷 地 努力。There may be such a person as this the so-called "genius," or, possibly, he has been secretly trying really hard.
- 没有 所谓 的 失败，除非 你 不 想 再 尝试。There is no such thing as so-called "failure," unless you do not want to try again.
- 所谓 的 “名医”， 连 最 基本 的 医学 知识 都 不 知道。So-called "famous doctors" do not even know the most basic medical knowledge.
- 所谓 企业 管理，是 需要 解决 一个 接 一个 的 问题。So-called "corporate management" requires solving one problem after another.
- 所谓 没有 时间，是 你 没有 好好 安排 时间。The so-called lack of time means that you have not managed your time well.
- 所谓 成长，就是 自己 可以 照顾 自己，自己 开始 考虑 别人的 感受。So-called "growth" is taking care of yourself and starting to consider the feelings of others.
- 人生 没有 所谓 的 答案。There is no such thing as "answers" in life.
- 这种 所谓 的 名牌 ，是 销售 自己 说的。This so-called "famous brand" was proclaimed by the salesperson himself.
- 所谓 永远 的 爱，是 不 存在 的。There is no such thing as "eternal love."
- 为了 所谓 的 权力，去 放弃 家人，是 不 聪明 的 做法。It is not wise to give up your family for the sake of so-called "power."
Sources and further reading