Modal particle "ne"
You may have already learned how to ask questions with 呢 (ne), but did you know that it's also used in statements? In this usage, 呢 (ne) is imparting a certain "mood" (hence the word "modal") or "attitude." It's used when trying to sound more confident and convincing to someone else.
Statement + 呢
For each of these examples, just a bit of context is needed to understand what the speaker is trying to convince someone of.
- 我 不 要 回家 。还 早 呢 ！I don't want to go home. It's still early!
- 太 远 了，坐 火车 要 十 个 小时 呢。It's too far. By train, it'll take 10 hours.
- 我 找 了 你 很 久 呢，你 去 哪里 了？I looked for you for quite a while. Where did you go?
- 雨 还 很 大 呢，我们 不 要 出去 了。And it's raining really heavily. Let's just not go out.
- 你 喝 吧，还有 很 多 可乐 呢。Drink some. There's a lot of cola left.
- 爸爸 在 工作 呢，不 能 和 你 一起 玩。Daddy's working. He can't play with you.
- 他 还 没 回来 呢。He hasn't come back yet.
- 我们 的 工作 还 有 很多 呢。We still have a lot of work.
- 我们 一起 吃饭 吧，时间 还 有 很多 呢。Let's eat together. We still have a lot of time.
- 你 怎么 还 在 吃 呢？How is it that you're still eating?
- Modal particles
- Questions with "ne"
- Expressing actions in progress (full form)
- Softening the tone of questions with "ne" (advanced article)