Expressing "to make certain" with "qianwan"
千万 (qiān wàn) on the surface seems to just mean "thousand ten thousand," but it actually means "to make certain." It is used when you want to command someone or remind someone to do something (like: "don't forget to clean your room!") It really adds a kick to your sentence!
千万 usually starts the imperative sentence/phrase (also called command sentence/phrase), and it is usually paired with 要, 不能, 别 or similar types of words. You can use 千万 with sentences that are commanding someone not do do something, or you can tell them to do something.
千万 + Verb/Verb Phrase
千万 with "don't"
The following examples use 千万 to command someone not to do something.
- 这 个 菜 很 难吃，千万 不要 点！ This dish is horrible, don't order it!
- 那里 太 危险 了，千万 不要 去！ It's too dangerous there, don't go!
- 他们 的 产品 是 假 的，你 千万 不要 买！ Their products are all fake, don't buy them!
- 他 不 是 什么 好人，千万 不要 相信 他！ He is not a good person, don't believe him!
- 孩子 有 错，父母 可以 教育 他， 但 千万 不 能 打 孩子。 When a child does wrong, parents can teach them. But they can't hit them!
千万 with "do"
The following examples use 千万 to command someone to do something.
- 过 马路 千万 要 小心。When crossing the street, be careful!
- 这 句 话 你 千万 要 记 在 心里。Memorize this phrase by heart!
- 一个人 去 旅行 千万 要 注意 安全。When traveling alone, you must pay attention and be careful!
- 出门 以前 千万 要 把 门 锁 好。Before leaving make sure to lock the door!
- 雨天 路 滑， 千万 要 开 慢 点。The rain makes the road slippery. Drive slower!
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4下 (pp. 61) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2(P.95) →buy
- Practicing HSK Grammar (语法精讲精炼)(P.42) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词(P.447) →buy