Conceding with "ba"
The particle 吧 (ba) can also be used to concede a point. That is, 吧 (ba) can be used to accept or agree with something that you're not particularly happy about, the way we might use "all right" or "fine then" in English.
Similar to other uses of 吧 (ba), this usage is also simply placed on the end of a sentence or statement.
Statement + 吧
To understand what someone is conceding to, it's best to present this usage as a number of super short dialogs which provide a little context.
In this first one, B has to accept that his luxury goods shopping dreams have been shattered.
- A:太 贵 了！That's too expensive!
- B:好 吧，我们 可以 看看 别的。All right, we can take a look at something else.
Now B must accept inconvenient schedule changes.
- A:下午 我 不 在 家，你 可以 晚上 来 吗？This afternoon I won't be home. Can you come by this evening?
- B:行 吧。All right.
B is now conceding that going out in this crazy rain doesn't make sense.
- A:雨 太 大 了，明天 再 去 买 吧。It's raining heavily. Let's go buy it tomorrow.
- B:好 吧，但是 明天 一定 要 买 到 。Fine, but tomorrow we definitely have to buy it.
Now B is agreeing to let more guys into his secret club.
- A:可以 带 朋友 吗？ Can I bring friends?
- B:行 吧， 但是 不 能 带 女孩。All right, but you can't bring girls.
Now B is having a friend cancel plans on him. Not a good day for B!
- A:我 今天 不 太 舒服，你 可以 自己 去 吗？ I'm not feeling well today. Can you go by yourself?
- B:好 吧， 那 你 好好 休息。All right, rest well then.
Sources and further reading
- Chinese Grammar - Broken down into 100 items - Basic and Intermediate Levels (汉语语法百项讲练 - 初中级) →buy
- Short-term Spoken Chinese: Pre-Intermediate (汉语口语速成提高篇) (pp. 52-3)
- Short-term Spoken Chinese: Elementary (汉语口语速成基础篇) (p.98) →buy
- Boya Chinese Elementary Starter 1 (博雅汉语初经起步篇) (p. 55) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 4 (新实用汉语课本4) (p. 246) →buy