Assessing situations with "kanlai"
看来 (kànlái) can be translated as "apparently" or "it seems" and is used by the speaker to introduce his understanding of a situation.
Don't confuse 看来 with 看起来 (kànqilai), which means "it looks like."
看来 as "It Seems"
When speaking objectively about a situation, you can simply say 看来 and then state your perspective.
看来 + Perspective
- 看来 他 不 来 了，都 这么 晚 了。It seems he's not coming. It's already so late.
- 看来 你 玩 得 不 高兴，怎么 这么 早 就 回来 了？It seems you didn't have a good time. Why did you come back so early?
- 看来 我们 来 晚 了，排 的 队 这么 长。It seems we are late. The line is so long.
- 看来 今年 失业率 会 增加，因为 今年 的 经济 不太 好。It seems that the unemployment rate will increase this year because this year's economy is not very good.
- 现在 看来 ，事情 没 那么 糟。Now it looks like things aren't that bad.
看来 as "From X's Perspective"
看来 can also be used to highlight a specific person's point of view. This is like saying "the way he/she sees it..." You can also say 在我看来, which is the longer version of just using 看来. It is used more often that way in formal speaking and writing, as it has more of a feeling like saying, "in my opinion...."
在 + Person + 看来 + Perspective
- 在 我 看来 ，不 会 花 钱 的 人 就 不 会 享受 生活。The way I see it, people who won't spend money don't enjoy life.
- 在 他 看来 ，公司 大小 不重要，重要 的 是 老板 好 不 好 。In his view, the size of the company isn't important. What's important is whether or not the boss is good.
- 在 老板 看来 ，加班 才 说明 你 工作 积极。The way the boss sees it, only working overtime means you're proactive in your work.
- 在 朋友 看来 ，这 件 事 并 没有 这么 严重。According to friends, this situation is not very serious at all.
- 在 你 看来 ，这 件 事 要 怎么 解决？In your opinion, how can this issue be solved?
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4上 (pp. 121) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 60) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 211) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy