Measure words for verbs
When a verb is done more than once, it also requires a measure word to accompany it. This way the measure word is acting as a way to count the frequency or re-occurrence of an action.
Verb + Number + Measure Word
The grammar pattern is very similar to English. For example, "看三次" and "saw three times" mirror each other in structure. In Chinese sentences, these measure words can either come after the verb (as a complement) or before the word (as an adverb). You should also know that, like nouns, some verbs have special measure words to go with them. The basic verbal measure word, however, is 次.
- 再 说 一 遍 。Say it again.
- 你 能 再 读 一 遍 吗 ？Could you please read it again?
- 这个 电影 我 看 过 两 遍 。I've seen this movie twice.
- 这个 故事 我 听 她 说 过 一 百 多 遍 了 。I've heard her tell this story more than one hundred times.
- 我们 去 过 两 次 。We've been there twice.
- 我 问 了 他 很 多 次 ，可是 他 不 告诉 我 。I've asked him about it many times, but he wouldn't tell me.
- 这个 问题 我们 讨论 过 几 次 。We've discussed this a few times.
- 那个 红 头发 的 男孩 打 了 我 三 下 。That red-haired boy hit me three times.
- 他 轻轻 地 拍 了 我 两 下 。He pat me twice very lightly.
- 你 没 听见 吗 ？我 敲 了 好 几 下 。Did you not hear the door? I knocked quite a few times.