Measure words in quantity questions
Asking About Small Numbers with 几 (jǐ)
Subj. + Verb + 几 + Measure Word + Noun？
- 他 有 几 个 孩子？How many kids does he have?
- 你 家 有 几 个 房间？ How many rooms are there in your house?
- 他们 在 这里 住 几 个 星期？ How many weeks are they staying here?
- 你 带 了 几 件 衣服？ How many pieces of clothing have you brought?
- 老板 每 天 工作 几 个 小时 ？ How many hours does the boss work every day?
Asking About Big Numbers with 多少 (duōshao)
When the number is not certain but you assume it's definitely more than ten, it's better to ask the question with 多少 (duōshao) instead of 几 (jǐ).
Subj. + Verb + 多少 + Measure Word + Noun ？
- 你 去 过 多少 个 国家？How many countries have you been to?
- 你们 班 有 多少 个 学生？How many students are there in your class?
- 你 大学 的 时候 看 了 多少 本 书？How many books did you read when you were in college?
- 他们 昨天 请 了 多少 个 朋友？ How many friends did they invite yesterday?
- 上海 有 多少 个 外国 公司？ How many foreign companies are there in Shanghai?