Suggestions with "ba"
The particle 吧 (ba) has a number of different uses. Here we'll talk about the simplest way to use 吧 (ba): making suggestions.
Command + 吧
Note that in Chinese, whenever you have a command with the subject "we," you're basically just saying, "let's (do something)." 吧 (ba) just makes the suggestion sound more tentative and more polite.
- 我们 走 吧。 This is a suggestion.Let's go.
- 你 说 吧。This is a suggestion.You say it.
- 快 点 吃 吧。 This is a suggestion.Hurry up and eat.
- 给 我 两 个 吧。 This is a suggestion.Give me two.
- 喝 水 吧。This is a suggestion.Have some water.
- 我们 去 香港 吧。This is a great suggestion!Let's go to Hong Kong.
- 我们 六 点 去吧？This is more of a confirmation than a suggestion.We're going at 6 o'clock (right)?
- 休息 一下 吧。This is a suggestion.Take a break.
- 我们 结婚 吧。This is a also suggestion, believe it or not!Let's get married.
- 老板 ，便宜 一点 吧。This is more of a request, made to a shopkeeper.Boss, can you make it cheaper?
- Softening speech with "ba"
- Softening the tone of questions with "ne" (advanced article)
- Conceding with "ba"
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 1 (pp. 101) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Chinese: An Essential Grammar, Second Edition (pp. 66) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (3rd ed) (pp. 129) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammar (pp. 307-311) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy