Expressing "the other" with "lingwai"
另外 (lìngwài) or 另 (lìng) is often used as a pronoun to denote "the other." There is no need to add 的 after 另外, but it's often followed by 一个.
Structure
另外 + Number + [Measure Word] + Noun
另 can be used instead of 另外 when the following noun is singular (frequently as part of the phrase "另一个").
Examples
- 我 有 两 个 手机 ,一 个 是 小米 ,另 一 个 是 iPhone 。I have two cell phones. One is a Xiaomi, and the other is an iPhone.
- 她 有 两 套 房子 ,一 套 自己 住 ,另 一 套 租 给 别人 了 。She has two houses. She lives in one and rents the other one to other people.
- 我 买 了 三 张 票 ,一 张 是 我的 ,另外 两 张 是 给 朋友 的。I bought three tickets. One is for myself, and the other two are for my friends.
- 这 几 本 书 我 今天 拿走 ,另外 几 本 下 次 再 拿 。I will take these books today. I can take the others next time.
- 这个 蛋糕 一半 是 你 的 ,另 一半 是 妹妹 的 。Half of this cake is yours. The other half is your little sister's.
- 跟 他 一起 去 的 另外 两 个 人 已经 死 了 。The other two people who went with him already died.
- 她 打算 在 北京 待 五 天 。三 天 出去 玩 ,另外 两天 去 看 朋友 。She plans to stay in Beijing for five days. Three of the days are for going out and having fun. The other two days for visiting friends.
- 我们 公司 和 另外 两 家 公司 共用 一个 办公室 。Our company shares the office with the other two companies.
- 他 的 两个 女儿 一个 嫁给 了 美国人 ,另 一个 嫁给 了 德国 人 。 He has two daughters, one of which married a American guy and the other married a German guy.
- 一些 人 总是 对 另外 一些 人 有 偏见 。Some people always have prejudices against other people.