In the future in general with "yihou"
- After a specific time with "yihou" (A2)
- Expressing "before" in general with "yiqian" (A2)
- Expressing "when" with "de shihou" (A2)
- Expressing "before" and "after" with "zhiqian" and "zhihou" (B1)
- Expressing "when" with "shi" (B1)
- Sequencing past events with "houlai" (B1)
- Comparing "yihou" "ranhou" "houlai" (B2)
- Comparing "yihou" and "zhihou" (B2)
- Expressing future with "jiang" (B2)
Similar to talking about things in the past, talking about things in the future is very straight forward. You can use the simple but useful 以后 (yǐhòu), which also means "later."
To talk about things happening at some unspecified time in the future, you can use 以后 (yǐhòu). The structure is:
以后 + Subj. + Verb + Obj.
You can also move 以后 (yǐhòu) to right after the subject, and it's also correct.
Subj. + 以后 + Verb + Obj.
This can be used to talk about actions in the future, or to talk about events that happened after other events in a story.
In the examples below, the translation "in the future" is used, because using "later" for 以后 (yǐhòu) either sounds weird, or makes it sound like it's going to happen really soon (just a little later), rather than at some indefinite point in the future, which is what is meant.
- 以后 你们 会 想我 吗？ In the future, will you miss me?
- 以后 你 想 来 中国 吗？ In the future, do you want to come to China?
- 我 以后 不 喝酒 了。 I will not drink alcohol in the future.
- 我们 以后 不 在 这里 工作 了。We will not work here in the future.
- 你儿子 以后 想 做 什么？In the future, what does your son want to do?
- 以后 你们 想 去哪儿 工作？ In the future, where would you like to work?
- 以后 我们 会 有 一些 新 的 同事。We will have some new co-workers in the future.
- 以后 你 可以 住 在 这里。In the future, you can live here.
- 他们 以后 会 结婚 吗？Will they get married in the future?
- 你 以后 不 要 跟 他 见面 了。In the future, stop seeing him.
- "Before" in general
- After a specific time
- Before and after with "zhiqian" and "zhihou"
- Sequencing past events with "houlai"
- Expressing future with "jiang"
- Comparing "yihou" and "houlai"