Passive verbs with "shou"
受 (shòu) is generally thought of as a passive marker, converting the verb placed after it into the passive. Here it plays a role very similar to 被.
受 as a Passive Marker
受 + (Someone / Something) + Verb
- 张老 师 的 课 很 受 学生 的 欢迎。 Teacher Zhang's lessons are welcomed by the students.
- 一 个 人 不一定 要 变得 很 有钱 或者 很 成功 才 会 受 人 尊重。A person don't have to be rich or successful to be respected.
- 我 受 人 嘱托 来 给 你 送 一些 钱。I have been asked to deliver some money to you.
- 你 的 手机 昨晚 一直 打不通，我 想 应该 是 受 信号 干扰。I think I couldn't get through to your cell phone last night because of signal interference.
- 受 冷 空气 的 影响，今天 上海 特别 冷。Affected by a cold front, today Shanghai is especially cold.
It must be noted that if 受 is explained as a passive marker, then in the above examples 欢迎, 尊重, 批评 and 尊重 must all be treated as verbs rather than nouns, despite many of them appearing immediately after 的.
受 as a Verb
An alternative way to explain 受, is as an active verb itself, meaning "to obtain" or "to receive" when dealing with positive aspects, or "to suffer" when dealing with negative aspects. This explanation may be more accessible to native English speakers. However whichever grammatical explanation one uses, the meaning essentially remains the same.
受 (+ 到/过) + ([Something / Someone] +) Noun / Verb
- 张 老师 的 课 受到 了 很 多 学生 的 欢迎。Teacher Zhang's lessons received many students' approval.
- 一 个 人 不一定 要 变得 很 有钱 或者 很 成功 才 会 受 人 尊重。A person doesn't have to be rich or successful to receive respect from other people.
- 我 父母 都 没 受过 很 好 的 教育。Neither of my parents has received a very good education.
- 我 在 美国 的 第一年 ，受到 了 很 多 朋友 的 帮助。The first year I was in the USA, I received a lot of help from many friends.
- 拐卖 孩子 的 人 应该 受到 法律 的 严惩。People who traffic kids should suffer severe punishment from the law.
- 受 冷 空气 的 影响，今天 上海 特别 冷。"Suffering" from the influence of a cold front, today Shanghai is especially cold.
It must be noted that on the occasions when 受 is followed immediately by 到 or 过，it is preferable to consider 受 as a verb.
Sources and further reading
- New Practical Chinese Reader 4 (新实用汉语课本4) (pp. 61-2) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词 (pp. 505) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 35) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy
- 现代汉语词典（第5版） (pp. 1259) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy