Expressing "finally" with "zhongyu"
终于 (zhōngyú) expresses that something has finally happened after a long wait. Usually the speaker is looking forward to what is happening at long last, and thus, 终于 (zhōngyú) typically carries a sense of joy or relief.
Unlike the English word "finally," 终于 (zhōngyú) can never be used alone. It also can’t be put in front of the subject or at the end of the sentence. 终于 (zhōngyú) needs to be used with 了 to express that the action is completed.
Subj. + 终于 + Predicate + 了
The predicate part of the pattern can be a verb or an adjective.
- 你 终于 到 了 ！You've finally arrived!
- 我们 终于 见面 了 ！We're finally meeting each other!
- 你们 终于 明白 了 。You've finally understood.
- 作业 终于 做 完 了 ！I've finally finished my homework!
- 飞机 终于 起飞 了 ！The plane is finally taking off!
- 你们 终于 决定 了 。You've finally made your decision.
- 饭 终于 做 好 了 。我 快 饿 死 了 。Dinner is finally ready. I'm starving.
- 这个 愿望 终于 实现 了 ！This dream has finally come true!
- 我们 找 了 两 个 多 小时 ，终于 找到 了 那 家 店 。We'd been looking for that shop for more than two hours, and we finally found it.
- 这些 问题 终于 解决 了 。我们 应该 庆祝 一下 。The problems are finally solved. We should celebrate!