Expressing "it depends" with "kan"
Although there are a number of ways to express "it depends" in Chinese, the most common ones in informal spoken Chinese involve the verb 看 (kàn). Some common expressions include 要看 (yào kàn) and 得看 (děi kàn). Both mean "(it) depends (on)." Literally, they would translate as "have to look at," so the logic is not hard to understand. If you're looking for more formal language, consider 取决于 (qǔjué yú), "to be dependent on."
If you're answering a question with "it depends on..." then this is the pattern you want.
这 / 那 + 要看 / 得看 + [Unclear Situation]
Keep in mind that the "answers" below are meant to be an answer to some imaginary question that we don't include.
- 这 得看 你 的 时间 。This depends on when you are available.
- 这 得看 天气 怎么样 。It depends on how the weather is.
- 那 得看 考试 结果 。That depends on whether the result of the test.
- 那 要看 他 愿 不 愿意 。That depends on whether he feels like it or not.
- 那 要看 老板 怎么 想 。It depends on what the boss thinks.
If you're going to write a full sentence explaining what "it" depends on, then you're going to need to lead off with some kind of explanation of the "unknown outcome" of what "it depends" on. So you'll start with the "unknown outcome" in the first part of the sentence (before 要看 / 得看), and then end up with what "it depends on" (after 要看 / 得看).
[Unknown Outcome] + 要看 / 得看 + [Unclear Situation]
The "unknown outcome" normally includes some kind of question word, meaning something like "whether or not x happens" or "what x does," etc.
- 去不去 得看 我 的 心情 。It depends on my mood whether I go or not.
- 什么时候 去 要看 公司 的 安排 。When to go depends on the company's arrangement.
- 学 音乐 还是 学 画画 要看 孩子 的 兴趣 。It depends on your children's interest for them to study music or painting.
- 能不能 留在 中国 要看 我 能 不 能 拿到 签证 。Whether I can stay in China or not depends on whether or not I can get the visa.
- 谁 当 总统 得看 大选 的 结果 。Who will be the president depends on the result of the election.
Sources and further reading